Costs and Financial Assistance
There is no fee for adoption through the Children, Youth and Families Department. In fact, you can receive financial assistance for some of the other standard costs of finalizing your adoption. The following expenses may be reimbursed in part, or completely:
- Attorney's fees
- Court costs
- Transportation, lodging and meals during visits with your potential adoptive child
- CYFD required physical and/or psychiatric exams not covered by your health insurance
Additional Financial Help
Financial assistance is available for parents who adopt a child who is both certified as special needs and qualified for adoption assistance. Some of the characteristics of a child qualifying for assistance include a child who is:
- Over the age of five years
- From a minority ethnic background
- Part of a sibling group of three or more brothers and sisters
- Diagnosed with moderate to severe developmental, psychological or physical disabilities.
Adoption assistance may be used to pay for medical and/or psychological care for preexisting conditions not covered by the adoptive parents' insurance. Amounts may not exceed payments received in foster care. Medicaid may be available for psychological and medical care depending on the child's preexisting condition.