Steps to Becoming an Adoptive Parent
Some of the steps and requirements for New Mexico residents include:
- Attend your local foster/adoption information meeting
- Fill out the application completely, and provide personal references
- Schedule time with your placement social worker to get a background check
- Attend 32 hours of required foster/adoptive parenting classes
- Have your placement social worker come to your house to do a home study which will include interviews with everyone living in your household
- Please note that you must be over the age of 18 with a home, mobile home or apartment which has adequate space for an adopted child or children
- Have a medical exam by your own physician to ensure that you are healthy
- Other documents may be required
Inquiries may be made through the foster/adoption hotline at 1-800-432-2075, or email your regional recruiter.
Your assigned placement social worker will move you through the described steps over an approximately five-month period of preparation.